Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Foreland House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Foreland House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 144328

Site Number NR26SE 38

NGR NR 26980 64310

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144328

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

The original nucleus of this small 19th-century mansion is a late Georgian rectangular block of two main storeys and a

basement, probably dating from about 1820. The principal or N elevation is a symmetrical three-bay composition

measuring 17.3m in length. The centrally-placed entrance-doorway has a pilastered and pedimented surround, and the

windows have offset margins and projecting sills, the upper-floor windows being placed immediately beneath a plain

block eaves-cornice which is returned at the ends. The roof is slated and gable-ended. This original portion of the house is of two-room depth and measures 12.9m transversely over walls 0.8 m thick. The interior has been remodelled on at least one occasion, and in the existing arrangement the dining-room, drawing-room and library are grouped around a longitudinal E-W corridor with the principal stair located at its E end. At first-floor level a suite of bedrooms opens off an axial corridor. Internal fittings of interest include a curved drawing-room door and a series of reeded door-architraves

and fireplace-surrounds.

Attached to the W of the main block is a two-storeyed and L-shaped kitchen and service-range which appears to

represent a remodelling and enlargement of an earlier ancillary wing. The buildings are grouped around two sides of an open courtyard which has been further infilled on the E side and is entered at the rear through a curved screen-wall.

The two-storeyed and gable-fronted E wing is a mid-19th-century extension which contains a billiard-room on the

ground floor and is backed by a later conservatory and greenhouse.

A two-storeyed building which evidently served as the coach-house stands s of the main W approach to the house.

The building, which is harled and lime-washed, has a blind arcade and pedimented centrepiece; it now serves as two

dwellings and has a pair of outshots at the rear.

The builder of the house was Captain Walter Campbell, who purchased the Sunderland estate from his father, Walter

Camobell of Islay, in 1814. (Storrie 1981)

Visited June 1979

RCAHMS 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions