Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newbattle Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Newbattle Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Lothianbridge Viaduct; River South Esk Viaduct; Innocent Railway; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway; Dalhousie Viaduct

Canmore ID 143953

Site Number NT36SW 41

NGR NT 32695 64844

NGR Description From c. NT 32561 64934 to c.NT 32841 64750

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/143953

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Newbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
General view from SE
Newbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
General view from SEDetail, view from SW,  of drill operator abseiling whilst fixing the drill rig during test drilling lower pier and cutwater of the viaduct.View from S of skewed arch at SE end of the viaduct through which the A7 road passesView from S of SW side of viaduct, with former Craigesk Paper Mill visible (background left)General view from E of NE side of viaductOblique view from ESE of NE side of viaductOblique view from ESE of NE side of viaductNewbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
View from NDetail, view from NE showing test drilling work in preparation for railway rebuilding, on lower pier and cutwater on River South Esk of viaductView from NE of test drilling work on lower pier and cutwater of viaduct in preparation for rebuilding the railway.Detail of Newbattle Viaduct from NE showing drill operator abseiling whilst test drilling lower pier of viaductDetail of S side bridge parapet and handrail showing raised walkway.Detail of handrail base on S side of viaduct showing damage to stonework.Detail of handrail on parapet showing Lady Victoria colliery headstock in the distance.View from S of skewed arch at SE end of the viaduct through which the A7 road passesDetailed view from NE of arches at NW end of the viaductNewbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
General view from SEOblique aerial view centred on Newbattle Railway Viaduct with King's Gate housing estate i the background, taken from the S.Detail, view from SW,  of drill operator abseiling whilst fixing the drill rig during test drilling lower pier and cutwater of the viaduct.Detail of the top of the N side cutwater in River South Esk from bridge deck.Detail of S side bridge parapet and handrail.Detail of milepost bracket on N side of bridge.General view of bridge from E.Detailed view from NE of arches at NW end of the viaductDetail of skewed arch at SE end of viaductZipped folder containing additional field survey photographs taken by team B, Borders Railway ProjectGeneral view from E of NE side of viaductDetail of base of viaduct pier with deep cutwater to protect from the River South EskNewbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
General view from NW.Oblique aerial view centred on Newbattle railway viaduct, taken from the N.Detail, view from NE,  of drill operator abseiling whilst test drilling lower pier of viaduct.General view from NE,  of drill operators abseiling whilst test drilling lower pier of viaduct.General  view from SW,  of drill operator abseiling whilst test drilling lower pier of viaduct.View of RCAHMS field surveyor David Easton examining the bridge parapet and cutwater below.Detail of bridge parapet and handrail from SE.Detail of possible inscribed date on N parapet.View from E of NW end of the viaduct, with Lothian Bridge (A7 road) in the foreground (right)View from S of SW side of viaduct, with former Craigesk Paper Mill visible (background left)General view.Oblique aerial view centred on Newbattle Railway Viaduct with King's Gate housing estate in the background, taken from the S.Detail of handrail section on S parapet.Detail of handrail.General view from E of NE side of viaductDetail of base of viaduct pier with deep cutwater to protect from the River South EskDetailed view from NE of arches at NW end of the viaductNewbattle Viaduct (Lothianbridge/South Esk Viaduct)
General view from SEOblique aerial view centred on Newbattle Railway Viaduct, the Sun Hotel, Lothianbridge, Craigesk House Mill and Damside Cottage, taken from the W.Oblique aerial view centred on Newbattle Railway Viaduct, the Sun Hotel, Lothianbridge, Craigesk House Mill and Damside Cottage, taken from the SW.Detail of possible masons mark, a small 'cross' cut into N parapet, Newbattle railway viaductGeneral view.View from E of NW end of the viaduct, with Lothian Bridge (A7 road) in the foreground (right)Oblique aerial view centred on Newbattle railway viaduct, taken from the NE.Detail of S side bridge parapet, walkway and handrail.General view of bridge deck with N parapet showing surviving ballast.View of bridge deck walkway and parapet with handrail on S side from SE.Oblique view from ESE of NE side of viaductView from S of skewed arch at SE end of the viaduct through which the A7 road passesDetail of skewed arch at SE end of viaductOblique aerial view centred on Newbattle railway viaduct, taken from the NW.General view from NE, of drill operator abseiling whilst test drilling lower pier of viaduct.General view of bridge deck, parapet and handrail on parapet with surviving ballast.Detail of possible masons mark in form of small 'cross' on S side parapet.View from viaduct of Sun Inn and A7 trunk road from SE.View from S of SW side of viaduct, with former Craigesk Paper Mill visible (background left)View from S of skewed arch at SE end of the viaduct through which the A7 road passesView from S of SW side of viaduct, with former Craigesk Paper Mill visible (background left)General view.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Newbattle
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 41 32595 64844

Not to be confused with Glenesk Bridge (NT 32372 67136), for which see NT36NW 171.

For corresponding road bridge (adjacent to NE), see NT36SW 65.

Incoporates information from cancelled duplicated site NT36SW 67

Newbattle Viaduct [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes Newbattle Viaduct as 'A viaduct on the Edinburgh and Hawick line of Railway on the estate of Newbattle it consists of 22 arches spanning the River Esk and a ravine and was built at an expense of £21,000.

Name Book 1852

This spectacular bridge/viaduct across the River South Esk, constructed at his expense, enabled the Marquis of Lothian to extend the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway S from Dalhousie Mains to his coal pits at Arniston. Stone pillars and cast iron Gothic arches supported the timber structure of the bridge, which was 1,011 ft. long.

J Thomas 1971.

(Location cited as NT 325 650 to NT 329 648). Dalhousie Viaduct, Newtongrange, opened 1849 by the Edinburgh and Hawick Rly. A 23-span viaduct, with brick arch rings, and coursed-rubble piers and spandrels. The last arch at the S end is a skew road arch with a masonry arch ring.

J R Hume 1976.

There was considerable debate over the financing of this extensive viaduct, a structure which was necessary in order to bridge the River South Esk and access the Lothian and Dundas collieries. The Marquis of Lothian was reluctant to spend the money due to the fact that the Lothian estates were entailed and it was considered unsuitable for Dundas, who owned the Arniston estate, to pay. However, it was eventually built, after a delay of some four years.

M J Worling 1991.

This bridge across the River South Esk enabled the Marquis of Lothian to gain rail access to his colliery at Arniston after construction was completed in January 1832.

G Douglas, A Jervis, M McDonald, N Niblock and W Barr 1993.

This viaduct is clearly marked on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, sheet 13), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1895, sheet viiiSW), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).

The above sources do not concur over the ownership of the Arniston estate, Worling (1991) maintaining that it belonged to the Dundas family and the other sources placing the Arniston collieries in the hands of the Marquis of Lothian. The Lothian family owned the Newbattle estate and pits at Easthouses, Bryans and Lingerwood, all on the S side of the River South Esk, according to Worling, so would anyway have had a vested interest in extending the railway S of the river, regardless of the ownership of the Arniston colliery.

At NT 3282 6476 the viaduct carries the railway over a road which is clearly shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, sheeet 13) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1895, sheet viiiSW). It is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND) carrying the dismantled railway over the A7.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 2 August 2001.

Completed in 1847 by John Miller, a long disused viaduct which carried the Waverley route from Edinburgh to Carlisle over the valley of the River South Esk to the north-west of Newtongrange (NT36SW 63). It comprises 23 rock-faced sandstone semi-circular arches, the piers of which have been reinforced with iron strappings. The viaduct passes over the river at its north-west end, the much longer pier being protected from the action of the river by deep curved cutwaters.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2001.

This viaduct carried the Edinburgh-Carlisle 'Waverley Route' of the (former) North British Rly over the RiverSouth Esk and two public roads; the river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Cockpen (to the NW) and Newbattle (to the SE). The entire line closed to regular passenger traffic on 6 January 1969. The viaduct apparently forms part of a cycle track, but forms part of the portion of the route for which reopening is projected.

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NT C. 32561 64934 to NT c. 32841 64750.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 April 2006.

Activities

Construction (1847)

Change Of Use (1972)

Line closed

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The Newbattle or Dalhousie Viaduct is a 23-span masonry viaduct with brick arch rings on the North British Edinburgh & Hawick Railway, passing about 80 ft above the South Esk.. It was completed in 1847 and has 14 spans of 39 ft, seven of 38 ft, one of 44 ft and one of 43 ft 10 in., the easternmost over the A7 road being a skew arch. The brick arch rings are characteristic of Miller’s practice. The line closed in 1972 but plans are now being made to re-open it to Hawick. It replaced a unique 24- span cast-iron pointed arch and timber viaduct designed by John Williamson in 1830 and opened on 21 January 1832.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Project (April 2009 - February 2015)

The Borders Railway Project proposals are to reinstate the Newcraighall to Tweedbank section of the former Waverley Line. The reinstated railway line will be approximately 48km long and the majority of the route will use the existing railway embankment.

Several field surveys, archaeological evaluations and standing building surveys were undertaken by CFA Archaeology from April 2009 until February 2015.

CFA Archaeology

Standing Building Recording (October 2011 - April 2012)

NT 32695 64844 Lothianbridge (Newbattle Viaduct) This viaduct carried the Edinburgh to Carlisle ‘Waverley Route’ of the former North British Railway over the River South Esk and two public roads; the river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Cockpen, to the NW and Newbattle to the SE. Accredited to the engineer John Millar and opened in 1849, the railway viaduct consists of 23 semi-circular arches and is constructed of coursed rock-faced sandstone with brick voussoirs and soffits. The bridge also contains ashlar imposts with hood moulding over the arches. The parapet is tooled sandstone with ashlar copings and metal railings. Reinforcement using iron straps is present along the soffits and piers. The pier bases have projecting stonework and blind recessed arches infilled with coursed tooled sandstone. The last arch which is skewed over a road at the SE end, has stone voussoirs and flanking buttresses built of rock-faces stone. Two arches resting on a pier with deep curved ashlar cutwaters span the River South Esk. The 1852 OS Name Book mentions that the viaduct was built at an expense of £21,000. There was considerable debate over the financing of this extensive viaduct, a structure that was necessary in order to bridge the River South Esk and access the Lothian and Dundas collieries. The Marquis of Lothian was reluctant to spend the money and it was considered unsuitable for Dundas, who owned the Arniston estate, to pay (Worling 1991). It was eventually built at the expense of the Marquis of Lothian (Thomas 1971).

Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Report: East Lothian HER and RCAHMS

Funder: ERM Ltd on behalf of Transport Scotland

Graeme Carruthers, Mike Cressey, Magnus Kirby, Ian Suddaby - CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2013

(Source: DES)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions