Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balnuarin Of Clava

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Kerb Cairn (Bronze Age)

Site Name Balnuarin Of Clava

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Kerb Cairn (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Clava Cairns

Canmore ID 14258

Site Number NH74SE 10

NGR NH 75774 44484

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14258

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Croy And Dalcross (Nairn)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH74SE 10 7568 4442.

West of the three main cairns at Balnuranan of Clava (NH74SE 1, NH74SE 3, NH74SE 4 ) lies a small circle of contiguous recumbent stone, approximately 12 feet in internal diameter, with one of the stones on the ESE, bearing cup-and-ring and simple cup carvings. Excavation of the interior revealed what appears to have been a shallow grave for a now vanished inhumation, 5ft 6ins by 2ft 6ins. Over the filling of this near its western end was a scatter of white quartz pebbles. No artifacts were found beyond a scrap or two of pebble flint.

W Jolly 1882; S Piggott 1956.

NH 7568 4442 This circle is as described above.

Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.

Activities

Note (11 August 2018)

Date Fieldwork Started: 11/08/2018

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location Notes: The panel is part of the complex of monuments at Clava ('Clava cairns'), well known and much frequented by visitors. The site is located on a level river terrace to the SE of the river Nairn, in the flat bottom of the SW to NE valley. The panel is part of a small circle of stones, on its S edge, and separate from the three main cairns on the site. There is a car park and on site interpretation.

Panel Notes: Roughly rectangular, 1.4m in length and 0.9m wide, this panel has two flat horizontal surfaces at different levels and is composed of a medium grained sandstone with smooth worn surfaces. The upper (SW) surface has a larger cup with a faint but clear ring, four clear cups near its edge, and one below them on the SE face. In addition, there are four worn cups in a row following the edge facing the lower surface. The lower surface (NE) has a row of five cups crossing the surface, and one other at the edge. In total there are 15 cupmarks and 1 cup-and-ring motif.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions