Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culloden Station

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Culloden Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Allanfearn Station

Canmore ID 14243

Site Number NH74NW 52

NGR NH 7148 4756

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14243

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 52 7148 4756

Not to be confused with Culloden Moor Station (NH 7623 4568), for which see NH74NE 41.00.

For nearby Railway Cottages, see NH74NE 56.

Culloden Station (probably opened 6.11.1855) until 1.11.1898, then after known as Allanfearn Station; closed 3.5.1965.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

This intermediate station on the Inverness-Nairn line of the former Highland Rly was opened (by the Inverness and Nairn Rly.) on 5 November 1855 as Culloden Station; this line formed part of the Inverness-Aberdeen main line of the Highland and Great North of Scotland Rlys. The station was renamed Allanfearn Station (presumably to avoid confusion with Culloden Moor Station, NH74NE 41.00); it was grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Rly. in 1923 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 3 May 1965. The line itself remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 December 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions