Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, St Catherine's Road, Works

Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, St Catherine's Road, Works

Classification Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Highland House; Dyeworks

Canmore ID 142059

Site Number NO12SW 345

NGR NO 1118 2398

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/142059

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation

NO12SW 345 1118 2398

NO 112 239 (centre) The proposed development area, approximately 29,000m2, is located at the junctions of St Catherine's Road and Barrack Street and is bounded to the E by Perth Police Headquarters and Caledonian Road. The area is split by the Town's Lade. The evaluation area comprises two levelled plots which until 1998 contained large industrial buildings.

Aside from the now-demolished industrial works on the site, the NMRS records the site of St Katherine's Chapel and Hospital (NMRS NO12SW 15, 350 and 345), founded in 1523, to the SW of St Catherine's Road. The Perth Burgh Survey notes that the remains of St Katherine's Chapel and Hospital still existed around the 19th century. Foundations, possibly associated with the chapel, were identified during building work in 1870.

Few features of anthropogenic origin were discovered during the evaluation in December 2000: these included land drains and the remains of substantial industrial buildings. The drains may indicate that an earlier phase of land use is still present beneath the construction disturbance and demolition debris of the industrial works, although any less substantial features previously present have been destroyed. Consequently, although the trial trenching did not reveal any traces of the medieval hospital and chapel of St Katherine, it is conceivable that associated remains survive in the untrenched areas. However, it is more likely that any trace of these buildings has long been removed.

Report to be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Teesloch Developments Ltd.

K Cameron 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions