Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Muirkirk, Station

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Muirkirk, Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Muirkirk Station

Canmore ID 139857

Site Number NS62NE 45

NGR NS 6964 2658

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Muirkirk
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS62NE 45 6964 2658.

see also: NS62NE 45.01 6960 2658 Railway Underbridge.

NS62NE 45.02 6960 2650 Station Cottage

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10560 map, 1897.

Station House [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1980.

This station was opened in 1896 to replace the old station (NS62NE 44) as the terminus of the Muirkirk branch of the (former) Glasgow and South-Western Rly, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 October 1964.

This line had an end-on junction with the Carstairs - Glenbuck - Muirkirk junction of the (former) Caledonian Rly.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 January 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions