Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Point Of Stoer, Meall An Sgriobain, Chain Home Low Radar Station

Radar Station (20th Century)

Site Name Point Of Stoer, Meall An Sgriobain, Chain Home Low Radar Station

Classification Radar Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Meall Dubh Raffin

Canmore ID 139434

Site Number NC03SW 21

NGR NC 0080 3292

NGR Description Centred NC 0080 3292

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Assynt
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC03SW 21.00 centred 0800 3292

NC03SW 21.01 centred NC 0215 3215 Military Camp

NGR quoted NC 008 329, falls in sea. A Chain Home Low radar station on the NW-facing slopes of Meall Dubh Raffin.

Information from Mr I Brown, November 1998

Situated on the hill to the E of Stoer Lighthouse (NC03SW 6) up a track leading from the road. Constructed of stone, concrete and brick, there are hut-bases, the main power-house and standby set-house with blast walls. Both the Transmitter and Receiver block is also protected by blast walls on which there is the date 1941 carved. The base for the aerial and one shelter also survive. The accommodation camp (NC03SW 21.01) is about a mile down the road at Rubha Stoer.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Part 1, 1, 2-3, Vol.3, 1-3

The Radar Station is depicted on the OS 1:10000 scale map (1971), which shows four buildings, including theTx/Rx block at NC 0079 3292. However only three buildings are depicted on the current OS 1:2500 digital maps, at NC 00887 32992 (Stand-by set house); NC 00784 32864 and NC 00750 32788, the Tx/Rx building is not shown on this version of the map.

The installation is visible on postwar RAF vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK163, 4386-4387, flown 23 August 1946), which shows that most of the Nissen huts had been removed at this date suggesting site had been abandoned.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2004.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions