Edinburgh, Dewar Place, Central Electricity Generating Station
Office(S) (19th Century) - (20th Century), Power Station (20th Century)
Site Name Edinburgh, Dewar Place, Central Electricity Generating Station
Classification Office(S) (19th Century) - (20th Century), Power Station (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Central Electricity Lighting Station; Scottish Power Offices; Electricity Offices And Depot
Canmore ID 139288
Site Number NT27SW 1531
NGR NT 24478 73281
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139288
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
NT27SW 1531 24478 73281
See also NT27SW 4544 24470 73261 3 Dewar Place, Central Generating Station, Southern Wing.
Latterly an Electricity Office, from which the South of Scotland Electricity Board and then Scottish Power plc billed customers in the East of Scotland, this building was originally designed in 1894 by Robert Morham as the Edinburgh Lighting Central Generating Station. It was extended with an extra floor in 1896, and with a southern wing in 1898. The ornate Dewar Place facade is faced with dressed red sandstone, but early twentieth century additions to the N side and to the rear (E side) are of red brick, somtimes with red sandstone margins. The site evolved throughout the 20th century, being downgraded to sub-station status with the arrival of the National Grid and more centralised large-scale electricity generation. The station retained its switchgear whilst serving as an administrative centre.
In recent years, a large open sub-station on the east side of the building was renovated and painted in bright colours which were illuminated with coloured lights at night, forming a very effective visual promotion of the newly privatised utility, Scottish Power plc, very close to the new Edinburgh Conference Centre. In 1997, the Dewar Place building itself was to be adapted for temporary use as a press centre during a Commonwealth Heads of Government conference held in Edinburgh. Thereafter, the future of the building was uncertain.
Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 16 July 1997
J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984
Standing Building Recording (2006 - 2007)
NT 2447 7328 A programme of detailed historic building recording was undertaken during 2006 and 2007 at the former electricity sub-station at Dewar Place in advance of the major redevelopment of the site and partial demolition of the buildings. The upgrading work required the rear of the buildings to be completely demolished, but the listed red sandstone facade was retained. The original buildings on the site were built as an
electricity sub-station in 1895, including the Central Electricity Generating Station designed by architect Robert Morham in 1894. A full external elevation survey was undertaken by 3D laser scanning, and an internal floor plan and written and photographic record of the buildings were made.
Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.
Funder: GVA Grimley LLP.
