Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Edinburgh, Dewar Place, Central Electricity Generating Station

Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Power Station (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Dewar Place, Central Electricity Generating Station

Classification Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Power Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Central Electricity Lighting Station; Scottish Power Offices; Electricity Offices And Depot

Canmore ID 139288

Site Number NT27SW 1531

NGR NT 24478 73281

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139288

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 1531 24478 73281

See also NT27SW 4544 24470 73261 3 Dewar Place, Central Generating Station, Southern Wing.

Latterly an Electricity Office, from which the South of Scotland Electricity Board and then Scottish Power plc billed customers in the East of Scotland, this building was originally designed in 1894 by Robert Morham as the Edinburgh Lighting Central Generating Station. It was extended with an extra floor in 1896, and with a southern wing in 1898. The ornate Dewar Place facade is faced with dressed red sandstone, but early twentieth century additions to the N side and to the rear (E side) are of red brick, somtimes with red sandstone margins. The site evolved throughout the 20th century, being downgraded to sub-station status with the arrival of the National Grid and more centralised large-scale electricity generation. The station retained its switchgear whilst serving as an administrative centre.

In recent years, a large open sub-station on the east side of the building was renovated and painted in bright colours which were illuminated with coloured lights at night, forming a very effective visual promotion of the newly privatised utility, Scottish Power plc, very close to the new Edinburgh Conference Centre. In 1997, the Dewar Place building itself was to be adapted for temporary use as a press centre during a Commonwealth Heads of Government conference held in Edinburgh. Thereafter, the future of the building was uncertain.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 16 July 1997

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984

Activities

Standing Building Recording (2006 - 2007)

NT 2447 7328 A programme of detailed historic building recording was undertaken during 2006 and 2007 at the former electricity sub-station at Dewar Place in advance of the major redevelopment of the site and partial demolition of the buildings. The upgrading work required the rear of the buildings to be completely demolished, but the listed red sandstone facade was retained. The original buildings on the site were built as an

electricity sub-station in 1895, including the Central Electricity Generating Station designed by architect Robert Morham in 1894. A full external elevation survey was undertaken by 3D laser scanning, and an internal floor plan and written and photographic record of the buildings were made.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: GVA Grimley LLP.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions