Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kincardine, Kincardine Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kincardine, Kincardine Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Columba's Church

Canmore ID 13882

Site Number NH68NW 6

NGR NH 60553 89433

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13882

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kincardine (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Kincardine 1 (St Columba), Sutherland, recumbent graveslab

Measurements: H 0.36m, L 1.52m, W 0.51m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NH 605894

Present location: within Kincardine Parish Church.

Evidence for discovery: re-used as a gravestone at least twice, once possibly in the seventeenth century and again in 1725.

Present condition: very weathered.

Description

This substantial slab is carved in relief on two of its narrow faces. According to the Statistical Account, ‘the ends and sides are full of figures and characters’, but any such carving on the other two narrow faces and the top has been obliterated, and two hollows have been created in the underside. Above a plain flatband moulding along the base, the two carved faces are framed by a roll moulding. The long face A is divided into a long panel flanked by two short panels by vertical roll mouldings. The left-hand panel contains an image of the hunt, with a horseman and two hounds in pursuit of a stag, all moving to the right. The central panel shows, from the left, two long-necked quadrupeds sitting enmeshed in a bush vine scroll, an image of David rending the jaws of a lion with a sheep above his left shoulder and a harp above his right shoulder, and two horsemen side by side riding to the right. The last panel contains two angels. Face B displays a figural scene which is now difficult to discern.

Date: ninth century.

References: Stat Acct 1792, vol 3, 512; ECMS pt 3, 85; Trench-Jellicoe 1997, 168-70; Macnamara 1999, 9; Henderson & Henderson 2004, 203, 207, illus 297.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NH68NW 6.00 NH 60553 89433

NH68NW 6.01 Centred on NH 60513 89420 churchyard (including MacKay Monument)

NH68NW 6.02 NH 605 894 churchyard gates

For discovery of silver coin, see NH68NW 7.

(NH 6054 8943) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

St. Columba's Church, parish church of Kincardine is listed as one of the churches of the Diocese of Ross (Macrae 1923) and seems to occupy the site of its predecessors. It was built in 1799 (OPS 1855).

Orig Paroch Scot 1855; N Macrae 1923.

The church is believed to occupy the site of a previous church or churches (Information from Mr Fergus MacLeod, Ardgay House, Ardgay). It is now disused. On the lintel of the door on the south side of the church at its east end are the initials M A.G. and the date 1799.

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 May 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions