Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Walk, Statue Of Queen Victoria

Statue (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Walk, Statue Of Queen Victoria

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Constitution Street; Great Junction Street; Boer War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 137687

Site Number NT27NE 222

NGR NT 26967 75923

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/137687

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Bronze statue of Queen Victoria wearing a crown, and holding a sceptre with an eagle at the top of it. The sceptre lies along her right arm, but is held with both hands. The statue stands on a sandstone pedestal which has a bronze relief panel attached to each side. The one on the left shows Queen Victoria entering Leith in 1842. She is depicted seated in an open carriage with Prince Albert standing beside her, and a group of men in gowns greeting her [members of the Town Council ?]. The panel on the right shows the 5th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots, being presented by an officer to a figure of Britannia [?] with a lion lying at her feet. Behind the figures is a rocky landscape beyond which is a sun emitting large rays.

The statue was erected in 1907. The panels were added in 1913.

Inscriptions : On bronze shield (with crown and thistles) on pedestal: VICTORIA / QUEEN / 1837-1901 / EMPRESS OF INDIA / 1877-1901 / ERECTED / 1907

On bronze panel on left of pedestal (raised letters): QUEEN VICTORIA / ENTERING LEITH SEPT. 3, 1842

On bronze panel on right of pedestal (raised letters): 5TH. VOLUNTEER BATTALION, "THE ROYAL SCOTS". / SOUTH AFRICA 1900-02. / A Memorial to Patriotism and Loyalty.

Across the sun's rays on the panel (raised letters): SOUTH AFRICA

Signatures : None Visible

Year of unveiling : 1907

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0413)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions