Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Rosehaugh House

Country House (19th Century), Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Rosehaugh House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rosehaugh; Rosehaugh Estate; Rosehaugh House Policies

Canmore ID 13560

Site Number NH65NE 4

NGR NH 6784 5573

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Avoch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH65NE 4.00 6784 5572

NH65NE 4.01 NH 68168 55804 Garden

NH65NE 4.02 NH 68172 55670 Dairy

NH65NE 4.07 NH 67702 55732 Stables

NH65NE 4.08 NH 67881 55347 Bridge

NH65NE 4.09 NH 6782 5595 Burial Enclosure

NH65NE 4.10 NH 68276 55810 Garden House

NH65NE 4.12 NH 67286 55832 Laundry

NH65NE 4.13 NH 67544 55426 Power House

NH65NE 4.14 NH 67711 55703 Stable Cottage

NH65NE 4.15 NH 6774 5579 Wine Store

(NH 6784 5572) Rosehaugh House was almost entirely rebuilt about 1900. The former was built by Sir George Mackenzie, Lord Advocate 1636-91.

D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.

Demolished in 1959

SDD List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: Avoch Parish.

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: William Flockhart 1893

Demolished c.July 1959 Work carried out by S D Adshead

Some features from Rosehaugh are inserted in Novar House-plaster ceiling, bookcases, etc

Robert Adam-design for Stewart MacKenzie?

Alexander Ross (I.A. 5 April 1872) Additions and alterations

REFERENCE: Mr MacArthur, 9 George Street, Avoch has a framed design for terrace gardens at Rosehaugh, laid out for Sir James J R Mackenzie. Signed 41 Queen Street, Edinburgh 19.12.1943 (C H J Smith, garden architect). Information from Miss A Riches (1984)


Architectural History Vol 24 Adshead Autobiography, Ed by R Allan Paren.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The site of Rosehaugh House including the terraces was recorded as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey programme prompted by the ongoing restoration of various buildings across the estate.

Sir Roderick Mackenzie of Scatwell built a house here in 1798. James Fletcher originally from Avoch bought the estate in 1864 having made a fortune in Liverpool. The existing house was much enlarged in 1872 by Alexander Ross which formed a relatively small part of the eventual house. Fletcher’s son James Douglas employed William Flockhart, a London Scot architect to carry out a complete remodelling and major extension in 1898-1903. This produced what The Builder magazine acclaimed as ‘grandeur in a fine composition, the design of which is based on what is best in the French Renaissance.’ The designs were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1893 see DP 18258 and DP 18259. The house was the epitome of late Victorian grandeur and the sumptuous fittings have found homes in numerous houses across the Highlands. James Douglas employed 28 indoor servants along with 12 in the gardens and numerous others across the estate.

The house was demolished in 1959 but its fabulous scale and setting can be seen from the terrace on which it stood. Many of the estate buildings survive including lodges by Alexander Ross. There is an important group of estate buildings in a romantic art and crafts style which are attributed to William Flockhart and all dated c.1900. His other great Scottish House was Glen Tanar in Aberdeenshire which has also been lost save for the amazing ballroom.



MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions