Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Meadowmill Mine

Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Meadowmill Mine

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 130865

Site Number NT47SW 56

NGR NT 4016 7383

NGR Description centred on site of waste tip/buildings

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/130865

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Tranent
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47SW 56 4016 7383

MEADOWMILL MINE

Previous Owners: National Coal Board

Sinking Commenced: 1952

Production Commenced: 1954

Year Closed: 1960

Year Abandoned: 1962

Average Workforce: 120

Peak Workforce: 120

Peak Year: 1954

Shaft/Mine Details: 2 surface mines sunk by the National Coal Board (NCB) on site of former Meadowmill coal washer, immediately to the east of Bankton Colliery (NT47SW 48). Deepest workings approximately 60m below the surface. Average output about 250 tons per day. Coal sent to Dalkeith central preparation plant.

Other Details: Cleared away to make way for playing fields and artificial ski slope.

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

Activities

Field Visit (21 April 2015 - 9 June 2015)

NT 36400 77310, NT 40160 73855, NT 43695 77000, NT 72730 93750, NT 98610 28070, NT 97850 30630, NT 90745 32335, NT 91600 45990, NT 80885 43145, NT 80695 19160, and NT 45050 87970 A programme of work, consisting of a geophysical survey, a geotechnical assessment and a metal detecting survey was conducted, 21 April – 9 June 2015, on brownfield land abutting the SW perimeter of the disused Cockenzie Power Station and seaward to the previous site of Preston Links Colliery, prior to the onshore transmission work for the Inch Cape Offshore Wind Farm. The site covered 22.9ha within the area of the Battle of Prestonpans Inventory Battlefield between sea level and 33m OD.

The geo-archaeological assessment highlighted that substantial but variable modern disturbance had occurred across much of the site, with some small uncontaminated areas having a range of sub-surface features of possible archaeological interest.

The made ground suggested removal or reworking of deposits prior to the mid-20th-century construction of the Cockenzie Power Station. The made ground itself was probably formed of reworked deposits relating to the coal industry in the area (c18th to 20th century), activity on adjoining agricultural land (ie on Thorntree Mains Farm), and additional major phases of reworking associated with mid-20th-century development at the power station.

A watching brief on four geotechnical sampling sites recorded no finds or features of archaeological interest. A metal detecting survey at the geotechnical sampling locations and other selected areas, identified 125 anomalies and 145 small finds. Most were not chronologically distinctive, but the majority of the objects were likely to be of 19th- or 20thcentury date. No material relating to the Battle of Prestonpans was found.

Archive: East Lothian Council Archaeology Service and NRHE

Funder: Natural Power

John McCarthy and Andrew Bicket – WA Heritage

(Source: DES, Volume 18)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions