Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Knockaird

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Knockaird

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cnoc Ard

Canmore ID 129506

Site Number NB56SW 20

NGR NB 5310 6450

NGR Description From NB 5270 6470 and NB 5340 6420

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/129506

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB56SW 20 centred on 5310 6450

The Object Name Book (OS) describes the township as 'A small village, situated on rising ground, about 1/2 a mile north of Lional (NB56SW 25). The houses are as usual built of peat-moss and stone and thatched with straw and heather. Some of the houses have been slated and are more comfortable than the original ones.

Name Book 1852

A linear crofting township, comprising twenty roofed buildings, one partially roofed building annotated as ruin, five unroofed buildings, twenty-one enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 1). A head-dyke runs to the NE of this crofting township, the township of Cuig Peghinnean (NB56SW 19) and the crofting township of Eorrapaidh (NB56NW 9). The complete head-dyke runs from NB 512 656 to NB 533 641.

Fifty-four roofed, one partially roofed building, one unroofed building and the present crofting field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information fom RCAHMS (AKK) 13 March 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions