Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Muir Of Conan

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Muir Of Conan

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 12871

Site Number NH55SW 9

NGR NH 5461 5249

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urquhart And Logie Wester
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH55SW 9 5461 5249.

(NH 54615249) Stone Circle (OE) (Remains of)

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Stone circle consisting of four stones only, the remain- having been removed.

Name Book 1876.

Muir of Conan; Orkney-Cromarty; round: This chambered cairn is very ruined , and has a diameter of about 65ft, its edge now defined by ploughing giving it an almost square appearance. There was probably a peristilith of which only an occasional stone can now be traced. In the centre some of the slabs of the chamber can be seen; the entrance is at the ENE. The remains suggest the presence of a passage leading to a chamber divided into two compartments by transverse slabs. The outer compartment which has only one small side stone visible on the S, has been 4ft long. The inner compartment measures 7ft long by 5ft 6ins wide.

A S Henshall 1963; A A Woodham 1956.

This whin-covered cairn, 1.5m high, is as described above. 8 slabs, 1.2m max. height, are visible in the centre forming a burial chamber. The "stone circle" described in the ONB is probably the 4 largest stones of the burial chamber, as no external circle of stones remains.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Photo.

Visited by OS (N K B) 22 January 1965.

No change.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) March 1989.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions