Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Corriehoul, Cemetery

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Corriehoul, Cemetery

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) East Corriehoul; Allt Coire Tholl

Canmore ID 128563

Site Number NJ20NE 110

NGR NJ 2841 0850

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128563

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The rectangular burial-ground at Corriehoul lies on a sloping terrace on the north side of the River Don, and is flanked on the west by the Corriehoul Burn. It is enclosed by a coped rubble wall and entered through a wrought iron gate with a plaque recording its construction in 1869. The burial-ground contains numerous nineteenth and twentieth century stones, but the oldest stones all lie towards the lower, south end of the present enclosure, and appear to correspond with the area of a smaller subcircular burial-ground depicted on the first edition of the OS six-inch map.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ20NE 110 2841 0850

Cemy [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1972.

This rectangular burial-ground lies on a sloping terrace on the N side of the River Don, and is flanked on the W by the Allt Coire Tholl. The enclosing wall is of coped rubble and mortar, with a wrought iron gate bearing a plaque recording the construction in 1869.

The burial-ground contains numerous nineteenth- and twentieth-century stones, including a group commemorating the Tennant family of Edinglassie. A stone of 1860 in the SW corner marks the grave of a young woman who perished ?on the Leicht?, and beside it a crudely shaped and inscribed slab marks that of an unknown man found on the Lecht in 1937. The oldest decipherable date noted was 1826, although a roughly shaped granite headstone against the S dyke, propped on its side and partly buried, bears an incised cross, the letters IM, and what appears to be the date 17--; the rest of the date is concealed beneath the turf.

The oldest stones all lie towards the lower, S end of the present enclosure, and appear to correspond with the area of a smaller, subcircular burial-ground depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1869, sheet lxviii).

Visited by RCAHMS (IF), 10 July 1996.

Activities

Field Visit (10 July 1996)

This rectangular burying ground lies on a sloping terrace on the N side of the River Don, and flanked on the W by the Allt Coire Tholl. The enclosing wall is of coped rubble and mortar, with a wrought iron gate on which a plaque records the construction of both in 1869. The burial ground contains numerous nineteeenth and twentieth century stones, including a group commemorating the Tennant family of Edinglassie. A stone of 1860 in the SW corner marks the grave of a young woman who perished ‘on the Leicht’, and beside it a crudely shaped and inscribed slab marks that of an unknown man found on the Lecht in 1937. The oldest decipherable date noted was 1826, although a roughly shaped granite headstone against the S dyke, propped on its side and partially buried, bears an incised cross, the letters IM, and what appears to be the date 17--, the rest obscured by earth. The oldest stones all lie towards the lower, S end of the present enclosure, and appear to correspond with the area of a smaller, subcircular burial ground depicted on the 1st Edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, sheet LXVIII, 1869).

Visited by RCAHMS (IF), 10 July 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions