Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 10 July 1996

Event ID 1037730

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


This rectangular burying ground lies on a sloping terrace on the N side of the River Don, and flanked on the W by the Allt Coire Tholl. The enclosing wall is of coped rubble and mortar, with a wrought iron gate on which a plaque records the construction of both in 1869. The burial ground contains numerous nineteeenth and twentieth century stones, including a group commemorating the Tennant family of Edinglassie. A stone of 1860 in the SW corner marks the grave of a young woman who perished ‘on the Leicht’, and beside it a crudely shaped and inscribed slab marks that of an unknown man found on the Lecht in 1937. The oldest decipherable date noted was 1826, although a roughly shaped granite headstone against the S dyke, propped on its side and partially buried, bears an incised cross, the letters IM, and what appears to be the date 17--, the rest obscured by earth. The oldest stones all lie towards the lower, S end of the present enclosure, and appear to correspond with the area of a smaller, subcircular burial ground depicted on the 1st Edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, sheet LXVIII, 1869).

Visited by RCAHMS (IF), 10 July 1996.

People and Organisations