Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craigendoran, Station Road, Station And Railway Piers

Pier(S) (19-20th Century), Railway Station(S) (19-20th Century)

Site Name Craigendoran, Station Road, Station And Railway Piers

Classification Pier(S) (19-20th Century), Railway Station(S) (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Craigendoran Pier, Station; Criagendoran Pier; Craigendoran (North British) Station; Craigendoran Upper (West Highland) Station

Canmore ID 126580

Site Number NS38SW 28

NGR NS 30796 81283

NGR Description Centred NS 30796 81283

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/126580

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Cardross (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SW 28 centred 30796 81283

Piers [NAT] (at NS 30689 81224)

Craigendoran Station (names centred at NS 30958 81309 and NS 31012 81264)

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

For Craigendoran Junction (to SE), see NS38SW 29.

Station opened 28.5.1858; pier opened 15.5.1882, electrified 1960.

(Undated) Information from information on Rokeby Collection photographs.

This intermediate station was opened on 15 May 1882 and remains in regular passenger use.

R V J Butt 1995.

Craigendoran Pier was opened on 15 May 1882. Close by was a railway station with through platforms on the Helensburgh line and a bay platform, curving down to the pierhead.

F A Walker 1986.

Craigendoran (West Highland) and Craigendoran (North British) stations are recorded, and are contiguous. The former (which apparently formed the ferry terminal) was opened by the West Highland Rly on 7 August 1894 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 14 June 1964. The latter was opened as an intermediate station on the Glasgow - Helensburgh line (later incorporated into the 'West Highland' line) on 15 May 1882, and remains in regular passenger use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 May 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Field Visit (21 May 2015)

The Craigendoran piers, which once served Clyde Steamers but ceased to be used by the West Highland railway in 1972, are in a ruinous state. They each comprise timber frames that extend into the intertidal zone; the slipway between the piers is partly covered by rubble, including concrete slabs and bricks.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 21 May 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions