Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 2 Leven Street, King's Theatre

Theatre (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 2 Leven Street, King's Theatre

Classification Theatre (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Tarvit Street

Canmore ID 124720

Site Number NT27SW 955

NGR NT 24969 72745

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/124720

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Site of Drumdryan House, built in 1730s, renamed Leven Lodge in 1750; demolished 1905 (See Bibliography: 'By the Three Great Roads', edited by Drew Easton, page 11)

The King's Theatre: built 1906

ARCHITECT: J D Swanston & J Davidson 1905 - 6

Erected by W S Cruikshank

NMRS REFERENCE:

Canopy

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh

Attic 2, Bin 12, Bag 2 Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson 1949

NMRS Print Room

Inglis Photograph Collection, Acc No 1994/90

View of ladies cloakroom

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 July 1999)

Central caryatid torso above semicircular window above doorway.

Two caryatid masks at top of building, one either side.

Two crowned oval medallions containing lion rampant, at second floor level.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1905-1906

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0147)

Photographic Record (August 2012)

A photographic survey was by commissioned by Smith Scott Mullan Associates Ltd and carried out by Michael Wolchover of 'A slight shift of emphasis' Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions