Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dun Struy Beag

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dun Struy Beag

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 12240

Site Number NH33NE 2

NGR NH 3967 3923

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmorack
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH33NE 2 3967 3923.

(NH 3967 3923) Dun Struy Beag (NR)

OS 25"map, (1968)

Noted as a dun by Wallace.

T Wallace 1886, 1921

Occupying the summit of a rocky crag shelving steeply to the SE, is a dun, still known locally as Dun Struy Beag. It is sub-oval on plan, measuring about 11.0m by 7.0m transversely, within a reduced, turf-covered wall spread to about 3.0m. Occasional outer facing stones are visible in the E and NE areas. A depression in the wall in the NE arc is probably an entrance. At the base of the crag on the NW side are considerable amounts of tumble, indicating that the dun was originally a substantial structure.

A natural depression around the N and W arcs of the crag has been scarped to form an outer defence. At the N end, where it terminates on the steep E slopes, a slight counterscarp is apparent.

See 1/1250 enlargement.

Surveyed at 1/2500 (Visited by OS (R D) 20 July 1965)

Visited by OS (N K B) 16 October 1970


Field Visit (15 September 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 12 November 2014.

Field Visit (10 April 1957)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions