Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Taransay, Raah

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Taransay, Raah

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 122317

Site Number NG09NW 12

NGR NG 039 998

NGR Description centred on NG 039 998

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

A cart track follows it down to Paible, the main village overlooking a natural harbour, with a fertile valley seamed with lazybeds running back into the hills. Enclosed by a wall, two chapel ruins, each with its own graveyard: Teampall Chè and Eaglais Tarain (the former, dedicated to St. Keith, the traditional burial place of the men, the latter, dedicated to St. Tarran, where the women were laid to rest). Farmhouse and steading, 1901, built on a hillock behind the village for the Berneray farmer, John Campbell, now self catering accommodation, along with the schoolhouse on the eastern side of the bay, which closed in 1935. These buildings formed the nucleus of the settlement created here in 2000 for the TV programme Castaway. Northeast, on the shore by Sgeir Mhor, lies the former village of Raa, with ruins of longhouses, some over 60 ft in length, barns, byres and corn drying kilns.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NG09NW 12 centred on 039 998

A township comprising five unroofed buildings, a field and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Island of Harris 1881, sheet xii). Eleven unroofed buildings and three enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 21 February 1997


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions