Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Due to scheduled maintenance work by our external provider, background aerial imagery on Canmore may be unavailable

between 12:00 Friday 15th December and 12:00 Monday 18th December



Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Lime Kiln (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Site Name Kildonan

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Lime Kiln (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 12095

Site Number NH09SE 3

NGR NH 0800 9090

NGR Description Centred on NH 0800 9090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty


Field Visit (5 October 1964)

NH09SE 3.00 centred on 0800 9090.

NH09SE 3.01 0773 9109 farmstead

The depopulated township of 'Kildonan' extends from NH 075910 to NH 082908. (Visible on air photographs OS/61/48, 021-022 and RAF CPE/Scot/ 321, 3183-4). It comprises 26 buildings, 3 yards, and several enclosures, all standing to an average height of 1.0m. The largest building measures 21.2m by 4.8m, while the smallest is only 4.0m square. According to local information this township was depopulated around 1850, "as the last survivor, a Mr. McIver, who died some 10 years ago, aged 100 years, was only 2 weeks old when his family was evicted, together with all the other families in the township." (Miss McNorton, Ardnessie and Mr Roger Dundonnell House, Little Lochbroom ). There are between 20 and 30 large stone clearance heaps interspersed between the ruined buildings, showing that the entire area has been extensively cultivated at one time.

At NH 08019099, there are the grass covered footings of 3 buildings, a field bank and a corn-drying kiln which obviously predate the nearby township, and are possibly contemporary with the burial place at 'Clach Chill Donnain' (NH 09 SE 2) where the last interment took place some 200 years ago.

Visited by OS (R B) 5 October 1964

Field Visit (1995)

As well as the remains of a number of structures within Kildonan township there is extensive evidence of broad rig cultivation, which was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey undertaken by J Wordsworth. The cultivation is situated most visibly to the N of Alltan a' Churaich and S of the Allt Mor Chill-donain on a sloping terrace raised above the beach. Less obvious remains can be found in the ground below the raised beach, although these may have been ploughed over at a later date. Other structures include a sheepfold, boundary wall, a stone and turf dyke, a series of enclosures and a number of buildings.

J Wordsworth 1995; NMRS MS 961/20, nos.7 and 9

Note (13 February 1996)

Seven roofed and twenty-two unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, some enclosures and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxi). Three roofed and thirty one unroofed buildings, some enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996

Measured Survey (2011)

A measured survey of Kildonan township was undertaken by Mary Buchanan, Jim Buchanan and Anne MacInnes in 2011. Their report (WP 004717) includes a 1:1250 plan of the site, and descriptions of each individual structure. The possible corn-drying kiln at NH 0798 9099, noted by OS (1964) was identified as a lime kiln after detailed 1:100 survey and clearance.

Additional information was provided with regard to the burial ground and possible chapel (Canmore ID 12093), the 19th century farmhouse to the NW (119142), and the sheepfold and buildings at the shore.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions