Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Due to scheduled maintenance work by our external provider, background aerial imagery on Canmore may be unavailable

between 12:00 Friday 15th December and 12:00 Monday 18th December



Kiln Barn (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Site Name Keppoch

Classification Kiln Barn (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Ceapaich

Canmore ID 12090

Site Number NH08NE 1

NGR NH 0951 8863

NGR Description Centred at NH 095 886

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes ( - 1964)

NH08NE 1 centred on 095 886.

(NH 095 885) 'Keppoch' is the name applied to 'the ruins of a few houses - and a piece of pasture land adjoining on the north side of Strathbeg River a short distance from its mouth... '

Name Book 1875, ref no. 35, 141

On the north bank of the Dundonnell River, in the area centred at NH 095886, there are the remains of 26 buildings, and 3 enclosures, comprising a depopulated township, which is still known locally as "Keppoch".

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 3 October 1964


Field Visit (1995)

The township, recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by J Wordsworth, is now overgrown with trees but remains largely as previously described. The former fields of the settlement have been improved by later farmers but traces of rig cultivation can be seen at various points eg. NH 097 884, NH 099 884, NH 100 8884, the latter of which are situated within a large drystone enclosure.

J Wordsworth 1995 (NMRS MS 961/20, no.14)

Note (14 February 1996)

Eleven unroofed buildings, an unroofed structure and two enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxi). Twenty-one unroofed buildings and some short lengths of wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 February 1996

Field Visit (3 March 2012)

Probably abandoned in the early 19th century, the township at Keppoch comprises at least twenty-five buildings, some with enclosures attached, spread across a rough, SW-facing, moorland slope directly overlooking the Dundonnell River. The buildings, which are generally orientated along the slope, stand up to 1.2m in height and both square- and round-cornered structures are present. A kiln-barn (NH 09514 88632) is situated between two burns at the centre of the township.

Probably broadly contemporary with the buildings is an area of former lazy-bed cultivation to the NE of the township. Of later date is a substantial stone wall that runs along the river bank and overlies the footing of some of the buildings, indicating they were already in a severely reduced state by that time. The wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire & Cromarty-shire – Mainland 1881, Sheet XXI), the survey for which was undertaken in 1875.

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) 3 March 2012

Ground Survey (24 April 2014 - 28 April 2014)

NH 09510 88630 The project, 24–28 April 2014, involved clearing vegetation from the site in order to ascertain the nature and extent of its component buildings and features and their relationship to each other. The buildings were then surveyed using the taped offset method. Twelve NOSAS members attended and some training and guidance was given in order to ensure that consistency was achieved.

Situated on the N bank of the Dundonnell River just 300m from where it enters Little Loch Broom, this township is on a SW-facing slope and consists of a number of structures, most of which have been robbed of their stone, and a variety of other features on both sides of a small burn. The lower part of the township is tree covered and many of the remains are covered with brambles and/or bracken. There is very little cultivatable land in the immediate vicinity. The site comprises 28 buildings, 4 enclosures, a possible kiln or hearth, a possible bloomery or smithy, a trackway, and a substantial wall which post-dates occupation of the township.

The remains of the buildings indicate at least three phases to the township. The buildings in the N part are smaller and more roughly constructed; most of these are between 7–8m x 2m internally and some have rounded corners. Several more substantial buildings have multiple compartments, with drains indicating their use as byres. The lower larger buildings have more upstanding wall remains and are probably those of the final phase of occupation; six buildings on the same alignment form a ‘street’ running parallel to the river. These buildings vary in size from 13–19m x 3.5–4m internally, most have a terraced ‘walkway’ to the front/S side and a back ditch to the rear/N side. The two westmost buildings have been severely disturbed by spate inundation from the nearby burn. An unusual small rectangular building with rounded ends sits on an ‘island’

between two small burns at the centre of the township.

It measures 7 x 4m overall and has roughly constructed substantial stone walls 1m thick and up to 1.55m high; the N part of this building has a stone-built plinth with a shallow oval bowl 1 x 1.7m and a void underneath. It is possible that this was some sort of kiln or hearth. To the N of this and beside the same burn, in which an abundance of iron slag was found, the remains of a further building are worthy of mention. This building has been more carefully constructed and is different to the others of the township. It has been robbed of its stone, but has substantial, up to 0.3m high, double faced stone footings. In front of the building there is a roughly semi-circular grassy platform, measuring c7 x 5m, with a grassy apron; it is possible that this is the site of a bloomery. A substantial wall which post-dates the township bounds the river for the entire length of the township; it is mostly upstanding and has almost certainly been built using stone robbed from the buildings.

Archive: NOSAS. Report: Highland HER and RCAHMS

Meryl Marshall – NOSAS

(Source: DES)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions