Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Kilbride, Whitemoss Avenue, St Bride's Roman Catholic Church

Church (20th Century)

Site Name East Kilbride, Whitemoss Avenue, St Bride's Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Roman Catholic Church Of St Bride; Platthorn Drive; St Bride's High School

Canmore ID 120299

Site Number NS65SW 16

NGR NS 64047 54304

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120299

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish East Kilbride (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District East Kilbride
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Summary Record

ARCHITECT: Gillespie Kidd & Coia 1963-4

Partner in charge: Jack Coia. Architectural staff: A. MacMillan, C. MacCallum, I. Metzstein, J. Cowell.

Designed for the diocese of Motherwell. Overlooking Laigh Common, adjoining Platthorn (later St Bride's High) school. Seating capacity 700. 90-foot campanile. Plan expressed by a single volume enclosed by massive load-bearing brick walls. Interior lit by roof glazing. Brick walls pierced, recessed and modelled. Facing brick also used internally. Floor covered with large-scale stone paving. Timber slats on the ceiling conceal space frames and glazing. High altar has concealed natural lighting from 'dormer' projecting above roofline. Extensive use of varnished pine; altars, pulpit and font of natural stone. Campanile demolished 1983 owing to defective brickwork.

A M Doak 1959; A R 1961; G Stamp 2000

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

In its original condition, the finest work of postwar church architecture in the country. One of a series of expressionistic R.C. church designs by the firm, beginning in the mid-50s with St. Paul's, Glenrothes. A single, roof-lit volume enclosed by a massive but subtly modelled loadbearing wall of rough-textured brick, pierced by a slit-like entrance door in a curved embrasure. Owing to structural problems, the sheer, 90ft. high campanile, which consisted of two brick slabs with slatted timber screen infilling, was dismantled in 1987, and has not yet been reinstated. Listed by Historic Scotland, 1994. (Fig. 4.48).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions