Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Sciennes Road, Royal Hospital For Sick Children

Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Sciennes Road, Royal Hospital For Sick Children

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rillbank

Canmore ID 120073

Site Number NT27SE 1678

NGR NT 25833 72349

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120073

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1678.00 25833 72349

NT27SE 1678.01 2580 7238 10, 11 Rillbank Terrace, Nurses Home

Built on site of Trade Maidens Hospital, at Rillbank House (1854 - 1892).

See also: NT27SE 1870 Edinburgh, Lauriston Lane, Meadowside House

ARCHITECT:

Sir George Washington Browne, 1892

Reginald Fairlie, 1931 - 38 - additions and operations to 8, 9 & 13 Rillbank Terrace

& 16 Hope Terrace

Henry & MacLEnnan of Edinburgh - Ext 1/4/1912 - additional storey to nurses home,

West of main building (information from B Blackmore)

REFERENCE:

The RSA have George Washington Browne's perspective, published in The Builder and a sketch of the entrance.

PLANS:

2 Rillbank Crescent: alterations for Royal Hospital for Sick Children

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alterations

Attic 2, Bin 22, Bag 2 Dick Peddie, Todd & Jamieson 1946

10 & 11 Rillbank Terrace, Nurses Home.

Sydney Mitchell & Wilson (E.A. Jamieson), Edinburgh alterations

Attic 2, Bin 6, Bag 2 13 Young Street 1925

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (3 August 1999)

The coat of arms, in stone relief, is placed in a semi-circular pediment above the door: central shield with unicorn rampant to left, crowned lion rampant to right, open globe and crown above, acanthus background.

The bronze inscribed plaque is in a stone architectural frame with a semi-circular pediment containing three infants' heads. A frieze between the plaque and the pediment has two cartouches carved with C C (entwined) and J D (entwined). A frieze with a wreath is at the bottom.

Inscriptions : At top of coat of arms: IN DEFENSE

Around shield: HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

At bottom: DIEU ET MON DROIT

On plaque (raised gilt letters): THE LADY / CAROLINE CHAR: / :TERIS WING / ERECTED IN LOV: / :ING MEMORY OF / A BEAUTIFUL / AND BENEFICENT / LIFE BY HER SIS: / :TER LADY JANE / DUNDAS 1892-1895

Signatures : None

Design period : c.1895

Year of unveiling : 1895

Unveiling details : Hospital opened on 31 October 1895 by H.R.H. Princess Beatrice

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0029)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions