Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crossgates, Halbeath

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Crossgates, Halbeath

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rng4; Forth Aa Defences

Canmore ID 119926

Site Number NT18NW 28

NGR NT 13404 88534

NGR Description Centred NT 13404 88534

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119926

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18NW 28 centred 1340 8850

Immediately E of the new Halbeath roundabout is the site of a heavy anti-aircraft battery, now built over by a bonded warehouse and small factory units. The battery consisted of four gun-emplacements and accommodation camp which were situated immediately S of the old A92 road. The battery mounted 4 3.7-inch guns.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 1997.

The heavy anti-aircraft battery is visible on a RAF WW II vertical air photograph (untitled sortie, frame no. 19, flown c.1941) in a field to the E of Crossgates. The accommodation camp is situated to the E of the four gun-emplacements and no radar unit is visible on the photograph.

The battery is shown in Public Record Office (PRO) documents as having been armed with four mobile 3.7-inch guns in June 1942, but by November 1943 this has been altered to four static 3.7-inch guns and a GL Mk II radar unit. The battery was recorded as being unarmed by May 1945. No manning records were noted for this battery.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions