Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Torr Mor Ghaoideil

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Torr Mor Ghaoideil

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 118372

Site Number NM68SE 10

NGR NM 6741 8391

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/118372

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NM68SE 10 6741 8391

What may be a farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996

Activities

Srp Note (1 February 2011)

At NM 6742 8390 (located by hand-held GPS) are a pair of unroofed buildings, situated in a sheltered gully. They are shown as unroofed both on the First Edition six inch OS map of 1876 and on the current 1:25000 OS map.

The main, more northerly building is approximately 10m by 4.5m and is aligned E/W, with rounded external corners and right-angled internal corners. It is well-built, but with no trace of internal walls. There is one door and two windows, in the S wall. The doorway has horizontal slots in it, which would have held short wooden stakes to which the door frame would have been attached. The walls stand to roof height, about 1.66m high, along the S side and on both ends, but the N wall is largely tumbled and windows cannot be discerned.

About 25m to the SW(NM 6740 8388) is a second unroofed building aligned SW/NE, approximately 7m by 3.5m with rounded external corners and right-angled internal corners. This building is much more roughly built than its neighbour and has a door in the N end, but no signs of windows. It is thought that this building was probably a byre.

Visited on January 20th 2011 by Ken & Jean Bowker.

Field Visit (20 January 2011 - 20 January 2011)

Ruins found during a walk: no survey equipment to hand (apart from GPS) so dimensions are approximate, but photographs are attached.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions