Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cnoc Fhionn

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cnoc Fhionn

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cnoc Fhinn

Canmore ID 11771

Site Number NG81NE 2

NGR NG 8760 1955

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11771

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Glenelg (Skye And Lochalsh)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG81NE 2 8760 1955.

(Centred: NG 87601955) Knockfin or Cnoc Fhionn, a once flourishing hamlet depopulated c. 1840 for the introduction of sheep.

M E M Macdonald 1920.

Cnoc Fhionn, a depopulated settlement comprising the ruins of 16 buildings, 16.5m x 3.5m maximum size and 1.0m maximum height, 3 small enclosures and a corn-drying kiln. To the SW there is an extensive area of lazy beds.

Visited by OS (N K B) 6 October 1966.

A township, comprising fifteen unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Ross-shire 1876-80, sheet xlvi). Nine unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions