Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 659063

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NG81NE 2 8760 1955.

(Centred: NG 87601955) Knockfin or Cnoc Fhionn, a once flourishing hamlet depopulated c. 1840 for the introduction of sheep.

M E M Macdonald 1920.

Cnoc Fhionn, a depopulated settlement comprising the ruins of 16 buildings, 16.5m x 3.5m maximum size and 1.0m maximum height, 3 small enclosures and a corn-drying kiln. To the SW there is an extensive area of lazy beds.

Visited by OS (N K B) 6 October 1966.

A township, comprising fifteen unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Ross-shire 1876-80, sheet xlvi). Nine unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 1996.

People and Organisations