Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 199 High Street

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 199 High Street

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 1 - 14 Fleshmarket Close; 2 Jackson's Close

Canmore ID 115205

Site Number NT27SE 1108

NGR NT 25871 73661

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Fleshmarket Close is listed on Edgar 1742 as the westmost of three leading to the Fleshmarket and obviously got its name after the market was moved from the South side of the Tron Kirk, as shown on Rothiemay 1647, to the lower part of the slope down to the Nor Loch, at some time prior to 1691. It must have had an earlier name; but the only suggestion, that it was Provost's Close, is of doubtful authority and not very plausible. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 272)



In the National Library of Scotland, Vol.III., No4, of Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate, is a view in the Close. Reference: "Adv.MSS.34.8.1-3". See under "Water Colour Sketches, Series of, by Thomas Brown, Advocate".


Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1813 January-June 1.4.1813

Pet. The Corporation of Fleshers of the City of Edinburgh

Flesh Market, upper

Colonnade of cast-iron pillars in Doric style, all the way around a square

Plan and small elevation encl. Signed J Thin. 16 Feb 1813.

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1813 January-June 22.4.1813

Pet. Andrew Mein

High Street, south side, and Flesh Market Close, east side, being the first immediately

down said close

Elevations encl for - a. shop front at former

b. raising lintel of window in latter


Sources: Dean of Guild 15.7.1813

Pet. Incorp of Fleshers

Fleshmarket Close

Minor interior alterations

Plan enclosed signed J Thin


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions