Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cammo House

Garden (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cammo House

Classification Garden (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cammo Estate; Cammo House Policies; Cammo Park

Canmore ID 115195

Site Number NT17SE 62.01

NGR NT 174 747

NGR Description Centred NT 174 747

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115195

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17SE 62.01 centred 174 747

For walled garden (NT 1735 7440), sundial (NT c. 174 747) and canal (NT 1727 7456 to 1739 7463), see NT17SE 62.02, NT17SE 62.04, NT17SE 62.05 respectively.

Activities

Excavation (17 February 2018 - 7 October 2018)

A programme of excavation and recording work was undertaken with the aim of discovering the outline of the remains of Cammo House (NT 17399 74698) and clearing the undergrowth from the building known as ‘the offices’ (NT 17496 74393).

The excavation was undertaken over 11 days between 17 February and 7 October 2018. Eight new trenches were opened and Trench 3, dug in 2017, was revisited and extended, in order to confirm the size and line of the two back walls of the extension, added in the early 19th century. This work resulted in a good understanding of where the extension walls run and a better knowledge of the sequence of extensions added over the centuries by different owners of the estate.

The investigation of the structure currently known as ‘the offices’ took place over 12 days between the 6 February – 27 March 2018. Extensive ivy covering the building was cleared revealing a complex structure, which had been frequently altered over the centuries. The structure was surveyed and recorded. Small test pits were used to clarify boundaries between internal divisions. The internal area to the E end of the structure was found to have a high quality stone flagged floor. On the surface of this floor was found a penny coin of George V. A similar area at the W end of the structure also had a flagged floor, but it was not so fine. Close to the structure to the S we found a brick and concrete dish thought to be a boot scraper and the ornate base of an urn or sundial.

Archive: NRHE and City of Edinburgh Council HER (intended)

Funder: Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society

Christine McPherson – Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society

(Source: DES Vol 19)

Geophysical Survey (17 February 2018 - 11 August 2018)

NT 17399 74698 A further ground resistance survey of five 20 x 20m grids was carried out, 17 February 2018 – 11 August 2018, to extend the area covered in 2017. The survey resurveyed and extended two grids after ground clearance, added one grid to the NE and extended the survey area into the trees to the N of the house remains. The revised results confirmed a broad central N/S linear high resistance, which also extended to the E. This was subsequently proved by test pitting to be a 100mm deep layer of stone chippings. The two new grids to the N showed a high resistance area to the NW under the known house extension but did not define any wall lines. The area to the NW revealed a diffuse low resistance anomaly with a possible higher resistance feature, which was probably geological.

Archive: NRHE and City of Edinburgh Council HER (intended)

Funder: Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society, Friends of Cammo, and Almond Neighbourhood Partnership

Ian Hawkins – Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society

(Source: DES Vol 19)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions