Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Caradal

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Caradal

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 11419

Site Number NG50SE 3

NGR NG 569 045

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11419

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Sleat
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Caradal. Silent ruins of a village cleared in 1880. It is reached on foot by way of Gleann Meadhonach, where the semi-native oakwood of Coille Dalavil, stunted and moss-choked, fringes the northern shore of Loch a' Ghlinne.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG50SE 3 569 045.

(NG 569 045) Caradel: occupied in 1876 (OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., 1876), totally deserted by 1901 (OS 6"map, 2nd ed.)

Caradal, a depopulated township, is situated around and within a hollow in the hills on the S side of Inver Dalavil. It comprises about 11 ruined houses, some 10 outbuildings and 3 small enclosures. There are areas of lazy-beds on the lower lying ground.

Visited by OS (A S P) 21 June 1961.

Recorded in February 1994. Full details are lodged with Dualchas, Skye and Lochalsh Museums Service.

Sponsor: Clan Donald Lands? Trust.

Dualchas 1994d.

A crofting township, comprising fourteen roofed, two unroofed buildings, six enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet lxiii). Tweleve unroofed buildings, one enclosure and the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 4 December 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions