Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 George Iv Bridge

Shop(S) (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 George Iv Bridge

Classification Shop(S) (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 17 Merchant Street

Canmore ID 113480

Site Number NT27SE 846

NGR NT 25662 73365

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113480

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (9 November 1999)

Silhouette of elephant holding a teacup in its trunk. The elephant, cut out of solid metal, teacup as open wire image, is suspended from a metal pole at right angles above "Elephant House". The elephant's eyes, ears and harness are drawn in wire on top of sheet metal cut-out.

In 1954 Iain Fraser brought back the elephant as a present. He lived in Asia for many years and has a collection of about 1000 elephants. Original elephant in Bagel Shop, 37 Marshall St, EH8 9BJ. No name, just "The elephant."

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1996

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0705)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions