Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Field Visit

Date 9 November 1999

Event ID 613200

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/613200

Silhouette of elephant holding a teacup in its trunk. The elephant, cut out of solid metal, teacup as open wire image, is suspended from a metal pole at right angles above "Elephant House". The elephant's eyes, ears and harness are drawn in wire on top of sheet metal cut-out.

In 1954 Iain Fraser brought back the elephant as a present. He lived in Asia for many years and has a collection of about 1000 elephants. Original elephant in Bagel Shop, 37 Marshall St, EH8 9BJ. No name, just "The elephant."

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1996

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0705)

People and Organisations

References