Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 62, 64, 66 George Street, Bank Of Scotland

Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 62, 64, 66 George Street, Bank Of Scotland

Classification Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 48 Rose Street North Lane; The Standing Order; Union Bank

Canmore ID 113220

Site Number NT27SE 754

NGR NT 25200 73965

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113220

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 754 25200 73965

Architect: David Bryce, 1874 (and John Bryce).

NMRS REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Design No 1 (not as built)

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh, new

Drawings in Plan chest - drawer 4 Kinnear & Peddie 1881

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new

Bin 28, Bag 2 Kinnear & Peddie 1881-3

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 March 2002)

Three keystone heads, one above each of the three entrances. All are bearded males; the centre head has a curly beard.

The buildings were designed by David Bryce. He died, however, before the bank was finished. This was completed under the supervision of the junior member of the firm, John Bryce. The masons were William Beattie & Sons and the heads were carved by John Rhind.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1874-1878

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0658)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions