Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Carn Liath, Kensaleyre

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Carn Liath, Kensaleyre

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 11320

Site Number NG45SW 1

NGR NG 4201 5138

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11320

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Snizort
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG45SW 1 4201 5138.

(NG 4201 5138) Carn Liath (NR).

OS 6"map, (1968)

Carn Liath, a chambered cairn of uncertain type, about 80' in diameter with sides rising steeply to a height of about 18'. It is composed of relatively small water-worn stones, partly turf-covered, but there has been a little robbing and disturbance, especially at the base on the east side, for the ruined wall which runs from the cairn, but the interference appears to be superficial. On the SSW side of the cairn about 6' within the apparent edge a large stone is partly exposed set on its long side and pointing towards the centre of the cairn. This, to- gether with a large horizontal slab set at right angles to it, may be part of the entrance to a passage. To the west of the upright stone is another backed by cairn material which has the appearance of a peristalith though no other stones of such a setting can be seen. A short cist was formerly exposed about half-way up the NE side of the cairn, it having been uncovered about 1907 by men searching for a stone suitable for a lintel. It contained human bones. Only a few displaced flattish stones now mark the place.

RCAHMS 1928; A S Henshall 1972.

A chambered cairn as described by Henshall.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 16 September 1971.

Activities

Field Visit (1876 - 1878)

This name applies to a circular cairn of stone about 22 yards in diameter by about 15 feet high it is situated at the head of Loch Eyre and the northern Bank of the River Haultin [Annotated in red: Supposed to contain the bones of the rival clans who fought here in 1539.

Ordnance Survey 1876-8.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions