Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, Newark Street, Fort Matilda Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Greenock, Newark Street, Fort Matilda Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fort Matilda Railway Station

Canmore ID 112323

Site Number NS27NE 52

NGR NS 25603 77530

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112323

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 52 25603 77530

Fort Matilda

Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2009.

Location formerly entered as Centred NS 2561 7752.

(Location cited as NS 257 775). Fort Matilda Station, built 1889 for the Caledonian Railway, architect James Millar. A 2-platform through station, with the main offices on the up platform, in a single storey brick building with 3 gables to the street, and an integral awning with glazed side-screens.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Wemyss Bay Junction - Gourock branch line of the former Caledonian Rly was opened by that company on 1 June 1889. It was closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 December 1973, reopened on 20 April 1973 and closed again in October 1993. It has since been reopened, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic as part of the (electrified) Glasgow suburban network.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 December 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions