Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blairgowrie, Granary

Granary (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blairgowrie, Granary

Classification Granary (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Ericht

Canmore ID 112194

Site Number NO14SE 107

NGR NO 1818 4494

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112194

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blairgowrie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14SE 107 1818 4494

(Location cited as NO 181 499). Granary, early to mid 19th century. A 4-storey, 2- by 5-bay rubble building with wooden floors and joists supported on 2 rows of longitudinal baems with wooden columns. Nearby is a similar, but smaller, 3-storey, 2- by 3-bay structure. The larger block is still in use as a store.

J R Hume 1977.

NO 1812 4498 An archaeological evaluation was undertaken on the site of a new supermarket at Welton Street, Blairgowrie. This followed a Desk-Based Assessment of the site also performed by SUAT, which established the potential for on-site archaeological remains. The development was to take place on the site of the former railway station, and to the SE of the original core of the town. The station was demolished some years ago, although some railway buildings survived as stores and industrial units. There were sawmills on the site in the 19th century, before the coming of the railway. It was thought possible that traces of these and other earlier industrial and mill structures might survive on the site. It was also possible that the site, lying on a terrace above the Ericht, might have attracted early prehistoric activity.

The site was extensively trenched, and revealed deposits of ash, railway ballast and railway debris, overlying natural deposits. In the northern part on the site, natural consisted of very coarse gravel, while in the south this was overlain by silt and clay deposits. No features of archaeological signinficance were exposed on the site.

Surviving railway and industrial buildings were photographed and described. The most interesting of these was a former railway engine shed, which still preserved wooden smoke hoods in the roof space.

Sponsor: Santon Capital on behalf of Tesco Stores Ltd.

SUAT 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions