Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stromeferry, General

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stromeferry, General

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 109151

Site Number NG83SE 13

NGR NG 863 346

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Stromeferry Viewed across Loch Carron by the old Macdonell stronghold of Strome Castle, this was for long an important crossing point and ferry terminal, with a pier of 1814 serving the Parliamentary road from Achnasheen. In 1870, Strome became the railhead for the Dingwall and Skye Railway, which was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897 after extensive works had been carried out to blast through the solid rock. The track was repositioned in 1971, when a new road was built along the old line. Station building now demolished.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions