Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Orchy Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Bridge Of Orchy Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Drochaid Urchaidh

Canmore ID 108381

Site Number NN33NW 12

NGR NN 30026 39442

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/108381

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN33NW 12 30026 39442

Bridge of Orchy Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.

This station is typical of those found on the (Glasgow - Crianlarich - Fort William) West Highland line, being of island-platform type, approached by a subway and built 'somewhat after the Swiss style'; the lower courses of the walls are of fine facing brick in cement mortar and the upper parts are of concrete faced with shingles (imported from Switzerland).

West Highland Railway 1944.

The N end of the station was the scene of a major collision on 17 April 1954.

J Thomas 1976.

(Location cited as NN 301 394). Opened 1894 by the West Highland Rly (grouped in 1923 into the London, Midland and Scottish Rly. and subsequently incorporated into British Railways). A standard West Highland station, with brick and wooden one-storey building, approached by a subway.

J R Hume 1977.

(Location cited as NN 301 394). Bridge of Orchy Station: probably by James Miller and one of a series of similar stations on the West Highland line, which was apparently built 1889-94. Island station, shallow on plan, long and low with deep swept roof carried over verandah on each side. Red brick base on rock-faced stone plinth, timber-framed above with scalloped shingle walling, astragalled windows; roof covering now (1989) felt tiles. Free-standing small control signal box is similarly detailed.

Thomas notes that the buildings were originally painted in two shades of green, while the platforms were covered in red blaize.

SDD/HBM List, 1989.

This station is as described and in moderately good repair. It remains in regular passenger use but is unstaffed; the interiors of the buildings are becoming decrepit and some vandalism has occurred. The signal box is at the S end of the platform controlling access to sidings on the SE side of the station and controlling crossing trains on the single-track line; the station is signposted for use with the E side of the platform taking N-bound trains and the W side those heading S.

The nameboards have recently been repainted and some bear the name in gaelic as 'Drochaid Urchaidh'.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM), 6b October 1996.

Architecture Notes

NN33NW 12 3002 3944

Bridge of Orchy Station, 1894, West Highland Railway.

Visited and photograpohed by M R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 18 May 1976. Information from NMRS MS749/74.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions