Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Spean Bridge Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Spean Bridge Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Spean Bridge, Railway Station

Canmore ID 108183

Site Number NN28SW 13

NGR NN 22105 81416

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/108183

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Spean Bridge Station, 1894, design attributed to James Miller, architect to the rival Caledonian Railway Co. Standard chalet-style format for the West Highland Railway, with swept eaves forming a canopy and a facing of wooden shingles imported from Switzerland, originally in two shades of green. (Platforms originally covered in red blaize and roofs shingled until they rotted and were replaced with slates). Extended for restaurant conversion, Maxwell and Co, 1994.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NN28SW 13.00 22105 81416

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, [no date available].

NN28SW 13.01 NN c. 221 814 Station Master's House

Location formerly entered as NN 2212 8142.

Spean Bridge Station (NBR) opened 7 August 1894; became juction of Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway 27 July 1903.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NN 222 817). Spean Bridge Station, opened 1894 by the West Highland Rly. A 2-platform through station, unusual for the West Highland Rly. The main building, on the up platform, is a single-sided version of the standard wood and brick WHR station.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Crianlarich - Fort William ('West Highland') line of the former North British Rly was opened (by the West Highland Rly) on 7 August 1894. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 April 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions