Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Prince's Dock, 'four Winds' Hydraulic Power Station

Hydraulic Accumulator Tower (19th Century), Hydraulic Power Station (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Prince's Dock, 'four Winds' Hydraulic Power Station

Classification Hydraulic Accumulator Tower (19th Century), Hydraulic Power Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Prince's Dock, Pumping Station; Govan Road, Mavisbank Road; River Clyde; Tower Of The Winds

Canmore ID 107759

Site Number NS56NE 208

NGR NS 56908 65009

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107759

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Tower of the Winds, Govan Road, Mavisbank Road, 1894, John Burnet, Son & Campbell

Hydraulic Pump House, the former Prince's Dock Hydraulic Power Station. Romanesque corbelled cornice atop tall pump room. Castellated tower, another water accumulator, with original hydraulic equipment. Stump, a mere third, of the octagonal brick chimney, crowned with red ashlar sculpted frieze of the 'Four Winds'. Converted to office use, c.2005.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 208 56908 65009

For Prince's Dock (NS 5620 6493 to NS 5684 6503) and subsidiary buildings, see NS56SE 87.00.

Hydraulic Pumping Station, Prince's Dock, built 1894 for the Clyde Navigation Trust to designs by Burnet, Son and Campbell. The pump-house itself is a high, single storey, 6-bay red-brick building, with a plain frontage to the dock, and a decorated front to Mavisbank Road. At the N end, is a slendid accumulator tower, with elaborate corbelling, in the style of an Italian campanile. At the S end, there is the stump of an octagonal chimney in the form of 'Tower of the Winds', with sculptured panels forming a frieze. SDD category B.

J R Hume 1975

This building was used as a bar during the Garden Festival. It is now disused.

(RCAHMS photographic survey 1996).

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 25 September 1996.

This building extends over the grid line between OS 1:1250 map sheets NS5665SE and NS5664NE. The former (in an edition of 1951) notes it as El Sub-sta [NAT]; the latter (in an edition of 1962) notes a Chy [NAT] at NS 56903 64976.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 February 2006.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The hydraulic pumping station designed by J. J. Burnett and J. A. Campbell in 1894, which operated numerous

hydraulic cranes, lifts and pumps, at a pressure of 750 psi obtained from an accumulator with a 20 in. diameter ram and 20 ft stroke has been conserved and serves as a welcome reminder of the project’s grandeur. This station, the dock’s main architectural feature, has at its north end the massive water tower providing the hydraulic head of water to the accumulator, designed in the style of an Italian campanile with ornamental corbelling. At its south end is an octagonal brickwork chimney with eight sculptured panels representing winds, inspired by the Tower of the Winds at Athens.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions