Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalnottar, Mountblow, Royal Navy Oil Storage Tanks

Oil Storage Tank(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Dalnottar, Mountblow, Royal Navy Oil Storage Tanks

Classification Oil Storage Tank(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clydebank

Canmore ID 105838

Site Number NS47SE 79

NGR NS 46944 71769

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/105838

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Clydebank)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydebank
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

Royal Navy oil tank farm situated at Mountblow on either side of the Forth and Clyde Canal (NS47SE 82). The storage tanks are in two groups at NS 473 724, NS 472 722 with the oil terminal at NS 470 718 on the River Clyde.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) February 2000

Royal Navy World War II Fuel tanks situated on the N bank of the River Clyde between Bowling and Milton. The fuel tanks are both above and below ground. On the date of visit the tanks were in the process of being demolished.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 3, 200-1.

Activities

Field Visit (20 May 2015)

This abandoned oil fuel depot on the N bank of the River Clyde comprises a deep water berth, a concrete jetty and what is now an area of waste ground. Overall, the complex once extended up the hill and over the main line railway as far as Dunnotter Cemetery. The depot was built in 1918 as part of a major project to ensure the supply of oil to both sides of the country and it included a pipeline from Grangemouth. The depot closed in 1982.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 20 May 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions