Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newmilns, 80 Brown Street, Irvinebank Powerloom Factory

Factory (20th Century), Factory (19th Century)

Site Name Newmilns, 80 Brown Street, Irvinebank Powerloom Factory

Classification Factory (20th Century), Factory (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Vesuvius Crucibles Uk

Canmore ID 105442

Site Number NS53NW 56

NGR NS 5315 3706

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/105442

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Galston
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Summary Record

The Irvinbank Powerloom building was (in 2009) the administratibve buildings for Vesuvius (built c.1962 and extended, closed about 2009), specialising in crucibles for the steel industry. The Veuvius production department was centred at NS53162 36992 and covered an area of approximately 20,200 square metres immediately south of the Irvinebank Power loom site.

"VISO isostatically pressed carbon bonded alumina graphite nozzles" were made at the site along with graphite mix slide gate refractories including thin slab casting to create pouring nozzles with complex shapes and crucibles. The Mix department closed in December 2009.

RCAHMS did a photographic survey of the process prior to the closure of the site by the Vesuvius Group, a global company.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD) 28 February 2012.

Architecture Notes

NS53NW 56 5315 3706

Hume states that this powerloom factory, built in 1877 for Morton, cameron and Co., was rebuilt after a fire in 1923. The 3-storey, 6-bay main block and a 2-storey by 9-bay wing with segmental arches on the ground floor may date from 1923, the facade possibly being all that is left of the 19th century stucture. The building is occupied by a non-textile firm.

J R Hume 1976

This works dates from 1879 and was subsequently later taken over by the textile firm, William Morton and Company.

C C Allan 1979

The buildings were occupied by a specialist refractory manufacturer, Vesuvius Crucibles, on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 28 November 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions