Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Clach Mhic Leoid

Cairn (Prehistoric)(Possible), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Harris, Clach Mhic Leoid

Classification Cairn (Prehistoric)(Possible), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Nisabost; Clach Macleod

Canmore ID 10532

Site Number NG09NW 4

NGR NG 0409 9720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10532

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG09NW 4 0409 9720

(NG 0408 9727) Clach Mhic Leoid (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Clach Mhic Leoid: a very fine standing stone 10' 6" in height, 4' 6" in breadth and from 10-16" in diameter. The base is packed with small boulders to a distance of from 3-4ft, while two slabs (over 3' long) are set on edge, at right angles to the face of the standing stone, and 8'6" distant from it, to the W.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

Clach Mhic Leoid, a standing stone as described by the RCAHMS. The other two slabs resemble the kerb stones of a cairn, and a large quantity of rubble stones around the standing stone, about 6.0m in diameter, suggest that there may have been a cairn here, but insufficient remains to be certain.

The OS 1:10,000 map places it at 0409 9720

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 June 1969.

NG 039 970. A human cranium was reported as eroding out of a cliff section in the vicinity of Macleod's Stone (NMRS NG09NW 4). A calvarium and part of the maxilla and upper teeth were excavated from a slump or eroded windblown sand. The remains had fallen from the eroding section above the site and come to rest on a terrace below. A small trench was excavated around the remains, but no further bone was found. A small scatter of large stones in the vicinity of the remains may once have been associated with them, although it was clear that the remainder of the skeleton and any archaeological feature had probably eroded into the sea below.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland.

R Barrowman 2001.

Activities

Field Visit (8 July 2010)

This spectacular stone stands on the sloping western flank of a headland overlooking the coast. It measures 1.45m in breadth from ESE to WNW at the base by 0.38m in thickness, rising to a roughly square top at a height of 3.3m. The NNE face presents a heavily weathered surface, whereas on the SSW the stone is much more angular, probably as a result of the way it has been split off a larger outcrop. Traces of slight scallops along the western edge of this face possibly indicate where wedges were inserted to prize it up. This face is also riven with veins of quartz and feldspar.

Visited by RCAHMS (SPH) 8 July 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions