Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 657401

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/657401

NG09NW 4 0409 9720

(NG 0408 9727) Clach Mhic Leoid (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Clach Mhic Leoid: a very fine standing stone 10' 6" in height, 4' 6" in breadth and from 10-16" in diameter. The base is packed with small boulders to a distance of from 3-4ft, while two slabs (over 3' long) are set on edge, at right angles to the face of the standing stone, and 8'6" distant from it, to the W.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914.

Clach Mhic Leoid, a standing stone as described by the RCAHMS. The other two slabs resemble the kerb stones of a cairn, and a large quantity of rubble stones around the standing stone, about 6.0m in diameter, suggest that there may have been a cairn here, but insufficient remains to be certain.

The OS 1:10,000 map places it at 0409 9720

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 June 1969.

NG 039 970. A human cranium was reported as eroding out of a cliff section in the vicinity of Macleod's Stone (NMRS NG09NW 4). A calvarium and part of the maxilla and upper teeth were excavated from a slump or eroded windblown sand. The remains had fallen from the eroding section above the site and come to rest on a terrace below. A small trench was excavated around the remains, but no further bone was found. A small scatter of large stones in the vicinity of the remains may once have been associated with them, although it was clear that the remainder of the skeleton and any archaeological feature had probably eroded into the sea below.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland.

R Barrowman 2001.

People and Organisations

References