Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

North Uist, Portain, Loch Na Caiginn

Dun (Prehistoric), Farmstead (Medieval)

Site Name North Uist, Portain, Loch Na Caiginn

Classification Dun (Prehistoric), Farmstead (Medieval)

Canmore ID 10444

Site Number NF97SE 2

NGR NF 95123 71991

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF97SE 2 95123 71991.

(NF 9510 7199) Dun (NR)

OS 62Map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

The remains of a dun are situated in the N end of Loch na Caiginn, accessible over a substantial causeway. The island end of this interrupted causeway has been flanked by two lateral walls at right angles built out from the fort into the water. This elaborate defence is unusual. The island is oval in shape with indications of having been at one time completely surrounded by a wall close to the water's edge.

E Beveridge 1911; RCAHMS 1928.

All that remains of the dun, which is 12.0m in diameter, is the outer face of the wall, clearly visible to a height of 1.2m in the S. The causeway which rises 1.0m above the level of the loch, and is 1.3m wide, has two horn-like walls abutting at the island end which are probably later. A medieval farmstead, which has been built on and around the dun, consists of the greatly mutilated remains of two almost rectangular buildings built against the outer wall, and an oval building which has been built in the interior. There are also two smaller cells in the interior which may be part of the dun. The tumbled remains of a wall surround the island.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 24 June 1965.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions