Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mellerstain House, Stables And Cottages

Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mellerstain House, Stables And Cottages

Classification Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Mellerstain House Policies

Canmore ID 104343

Site Number NT63NW 18.05

NGR NT 64719 39101

NGR Description Centred NT 64719 39101

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/104343

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Earlston
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

Most of the ancillary buildings attached to Mellerstain House were built in the mid-nineteenth century, but some are of eighteenth-century date. One such structure is the former stable block, now converted into cottages.

It is two-storeyed and rubble-built, with crow-stepped gables. A small wooden dovecot surmounts the roof.

A one-handed clock, dated 1735, has been placed in the gable wall. It was made by John Kirkwood and, until 1859 was located in the steeple of Lauder town hall.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT63NW 18.05 centred 64719 39101

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions