Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rannoch Station

Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Plaque (19th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Site Name Rannoch Station

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Plaque (19th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Portrait Plaque Of J H Renton; Rannoch Moor

Canmore ID 103541

Site Number NN45NW 2

NGR NN 42249 57878

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/103541

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fortingall
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN45NW 2 42249 57878

For adjacent telephone box and hotel, see NN45NW 5 and NN45NW 6 respectively.

(Location cited [incorrectly] as NN 433 578 and placed [also incorrectly] within parish of Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire). Rannoch Station, opened 1894 by the West Highland Rly. A standard West Highland Rly island-platform station, with wood and brock platform building and neat matching lever-frame box. An unusual feature is a large low-relief portrait plaque of J H Renton, one of the contractors for the line, who financed the completion of the line across Rannoch Moor.

J R Hume 1977.

Rannoch Station, c. 1890, James Miller. Dramatically isolated island-platformed station, variant of standard design for West Highland Rly. Long and low, with deep-swept roof carried over verandah on each side. Red brick base on stone plinth, timber-framed above, with scalloped shingle walling, astragaled windows, and tall brick ridge stacks. Free-standing small control signal box similarly detailed.

At N end of platform, cut by railway workers, is a sculptured head [plaque] of Mr Renton, director of the West Highland Rly, who saved the line from bankruptcy when financial crisis hit in summer 1893.

N Haynes 2000.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Crianlarich - Fort William line of the former North British Rly was opened (by the West Highland Rly) on 7 August 1894; it remains in regular use by passenger traffic. It occupies an isolated situation on the E side of Rannoch Moor, on the stretch where the line swings away from the A82 main road, but may be reached up the protracted B846 from the eastern side of the country.

The station and its signal box are unmanned, the platform building being occupied by a tearoom and gift shop. It has recently been renovated, display panels being erected within a shelter in a car park to the E. These describe the history of the station and note that the footbridge was transferred from Corrour Station (NN36NE 1).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 October 2000.

J Thomas 1976; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions