Publication Account
Date 2013
Event ID 976843
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Publication Account
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/976843
1824 Wrought iron footbridge placed, like several such bridges in Scotland, to give access from part of the parish to its church or in this case school, probably with an S P C K grant. This is by John Justice of Dundee, a blacksmith responsible also for the estate bridge at Haughs of Drimmie, Perthshire, which shares some characteristics with it. The treatment below the deck also resembles that at Linlathen bridge, presumed to be built first, and Crathie Bridge, Aberdeenshire, 1834. Each iron pylon is restrained by three anchor stays fixed to the ground and four stays extend to cross each other across the 62ft (18.85m) span and form part of the parapet. It differs from a true suspension bridge in that it relies on straight diagonal stays rather than a sagging chain.
M Watson, 2013